Györ, Western Hungary
"City of rivers" - so-called because it sits at the confluence of the Danube, Rába and Rábca rivers. Called ARRABONA in Roman times, it was an important center of Pannonia. Györ has grown to become a favourite tourist destination because of its near 1000-year-old episcopal see, atmospheric inner city and beautiful Baroque buildings. KÁPTALAN HILL in the old inner city was at the mouth of the three rivers. Here the majority of the most famous buildings are to be found.
The BISHOP'S CASTLE - that is the Episcopal Palace - (Káptalan domb 5/a.) is recognizable from afar because of its broken tower. The oldest structures are the 13th century KEEP and the 15th century Gothic DOCZY CHAPEL.
The EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL opposite the Episcopal Palace was built on an 11th century Romanesque church.